The iOS5 jailbreak for iOS 5 beta, tethered has been released by the popular jailbreak developers, ‘RedSn0w’ by the Dev Team. It has been just a week since the iOS 5 beta 1 was released to the Apple Developers at WWDC 2011 and a jailbreak 5 (tethered) has already been made available.
Version 0.9.8.b1 of Redsnow is available to download and you’ve got to have iOS 5 beta. Dev Team announced this news via their website and twitter.
You’ll need iOS 5 beta to use this jailbreak. iOS 5 beta can be installed or downloaded using the Apple Developer Account. But you can also download iOS 5 without Developer Account, see here for that.
The following devices are supported for this iOS5 jailbreak:
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
Before jailbreaking, see these:
- Your unlocked baseband will not be preserved after this jailbreak.
- This jailbreak is mainly for developers and testing purposes only. So be careful to use this jailbreak.
- As this is tethered jailbreak, you’ll have to re-jailbreak your iPhone each time you reboot it.
- Of-course, for this jailbreak to work nice, you need to have iOS 5 beta and its IPSW downloaded to your computer. See here how to get these.
Follow these instructions to jailbreak with Redsnow:
1. Download Redsn0w according Mac or PC and unzip it if required.
2. Make sure you have latest version of iTunes. You can update it directly from iTunes of by downloading it from Apple’s website. See this if you’re not sure.
3. Make sure you have IPSW file which is stated above as this is your iOS 5 firmware.
4. Run Redsn0w. You’ll see following similar screen.
5. Click “Browse” and locate you IPSW file for your iOS 5 firmware. (On iPhone 3GS, the jailbreak will ask about your model. Just do what it says.)
6. If everything is correctly done, then RedSn0w will successfully identify your IPSW file. If any problem, there might be conflict between the firmware version or RedSn0w version.
Click “Next” to continue.
7. The Jailbreak data will now be processed by RedSn0w. You’ll see a progress bar of it. It just takes few seconds.
8. Then, the following similar screen will be appeared after jailbreak data process and will ask if “Cydia” should be installed or not. It is checked by default. Select other options too if required such as Custom Boot Logos.
9. RedSn0w will now ask you to turn off your device and connect it to the computer via the USB cable. So, make sure your phone is turned off and is plugged into the computer. Then, click “Next” to continue.
10. Put your iPhone in DFU Mode which is the most important part of the Jailbreaking process. Follow these instruction or the instructions provided by Jailbreak on the computer screen:
- Hold down Power button for 3 seconds.
- Don’t release the Power button and further hold the Home button for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power Button and hold the Home button for 15 seconds.
11. If you have done the above step correctly then, your device should go in DFU Mode. If not try again to put it in DFU Mode by repeating step 10.
12. After putting in DFU Mode, RedSn0w will start the jailbreak process.
13. You’ll see some codes running on your iPhone screen. So, its almost done.
14. Once done, the iPhone will reboot and you’ll see the Cydia icon in the iPhone menu.
The jailbreak is done. Enjoy the new apps and features which Apple doesn’t allow officially. If any problem, leave in comments below.